The IRC policy applies in the IRC at channel
#wlb on freenode. These rules do not apply in any other IRC, wiki chat, chatango or other chat room that may carry a WLB-related name.
To join the IRC, you can choose to do it either on an IRC client or through your browser. If you have a client, connect to freenode and then join
#wlb. If you do not have a client or do not know what a client is, you can access both through the wiki or through webchat. However, make sure you have read these IRC rules before or soon after joining.
- Follow the general rules
- Avoid posting empty lines, just dots or just emoticons
- All languages are equal
- Do not demand that others speak your language
- If possible, speak a language other users in chat understand too
- Linking within Wikia
- Avoid linking wikis; it is allowed only if it's functional, asked for or topic of conversation
- If it is in relation with a request, please link the request page instead
- Advertising and posting links so that people will join your wiki is not allowed in any circumstances
- Linking chats is only allowed in private chat and only upon request of other users
- External links are also allowed, as long as they do not disrupt the chat
- Political topics and news
- Discussions about political topics and news should move to private messages if heated
- Controversial or sensitive topics and news are not allowed
- Listen to the chanops and other users with channel operator rights
Languages allowed[edit source]
All languages are equal, so everyone is completely allowed to speak any foreign language in the chat. It is not allowed to demand another user to speak a language you understand.
However, please keep in mind these thumb rules:
- If possible, you need to speak a language other users in chat understand too; if others in chat ask you to switch to a language that they understand and you speak that language, it would be nice to do so.
- If a chanop asks you to change to another language that you also speak, you need to do so.
Chat bans[edit source]
- Any person with operator status is allowed to kick/ban at their own discresion
- Wikia Staff, Helpers and VSTF who are also WLB members, can receive operator rights on request may act just like the channel's operators
- Only the team of sysops and chanops will be automatically given IRC operator rights
- Advised procedure
- Kind warning and pointing out the rules
- Stern warning
- Kick (skip the previous 2 steps in the case of spamming, flooding or grave rule violations)
- Chat ban
- You cannot receive a wiki ban from breaking the IRC rules!
Channel operators[edit source]
Channel operators exist to cover most major languages: they help people in chat, and they make sure chat goes smoothly and everyone feels welcome.
For a full list of the channel operators and some information about them, see Project:Chanops.
Promotion of chanops happens in the following way:
- Selection by an admin
- Approval by wiki editors (through community vote)
- NO self promotion
Some criteria kept into account for choosing a new chanop:
- Relevance of the language: focus on major languages
- Activity in the chat: how often does he/she come to chat
- Helpfulness to users: does he/she help other users
If a channel operator is absent from chat for over 1 month (30 days), his/her operator status will be taken away. Exception:
- If he/she announced his/her absence [and reason thereof] on beforehand.
- Reconsideration of chanops who left unannounced because of an emergency or other weighty reason.
- Before channel operator status is taken away, the operator will get a message on his/her message wall and gets a couple of days to respond.
- If the number of channel operators goes down, it does not necessarily mean that we are looking for new operators to take their place.
Channel bot[edit source]
- The bot "ChanServ" is managed by freenode and not by this wiki.
- Currently, Botalu is not available in the IRC.