The babel system is derived from Wikipedia's Wikipedia:Babel, which defines the level of the languages a specific wiki user speaks. Language Brigadiers are free to indicate their own level upon joining, but may want to use the explanation below as a guideline.
Other than a Brigadier's own choice, it is always possible to request someone's babel level to be corrected, through Guestbook or an admin's Message Wall. This is to make the babel levels consistent among our users and to be more representative to people who request translations or corrections.
Babel level 0Edit
- You do not speak the language.
- You are not proficient enough for babel level 1.
Note: unless no translator for a language is present, you do not need to put your name with
babel = 0 in w:Template:WLB.
Babel level 1Edit
- You have basic knowledge of the language.
- When reading an article, you will understand the outline/basic idea.
- You are able to get a message across and respond to simple questions.
- You are unable to write proper articles in the language.
Babel level 2Edit
- You have a good understanding and a decent vocabulary.
- You will understand the basic idea and a fair amount of details of an article.
- You can write in this language, but will make mistakes against grammar, spelling, syntax.
- You will most likely have trouble writing in an encyclopedic style.
- You can translate most articles, with the help of a dictionary where needed.
Babel level 3Edit
- You are fluent in the language.
- You understand any non-technical topics without a lot of effort.
- You may make minor mistakes against grammar, spelling, syntax.
- You regularly don't understand colloquialisms and idioms (unless frequently used).
- You are able to write encyclopedic articles.
Babel level 4Edit
- Your proficiency is similar to that of an educated native speaker.
- You will not (seldom or never) make mistakes against grammar, spelling, syntax.
- You may not understand some colloquialisms.
- You do not need a dictionary, unless maybe to understand technical articles.
Babel level 5Edit
- You have a high proficiency as well as understand technical language.
- You use this language for your profession (interpreter, translator, teacher).
Note: you are highly probable to be asked if this is legit, if you indicate this babel level.
Babel level NEdit
- You are a native speaker of the language.
- You have a thorough grasp of the language, including colloquialisms and idioms.
- You use/have used the language every day.